The right brushing technique helps prevent damage
Unfortunately, it is easy to pick up a few bad habits along the way, especially when it comes to a task that most of us perform on autopilot. The following techniques for taking care of your teeth will help you get the most out of every brushing.
To brush correctly, keep in mind:
- The bristles of the toothbrush should contact both the tooth surface and gum line at a 45-degree angle.
- Clean the outer surface of the teeth by using a gentle, back and forth rolling motion. Clean two to three teeth at a time by making sure the brush contacts the upper gum line, moves down to the chewing surface, and then makes contact with the lower gum line. Move to the next group of two to three teeth and continue until the front surfaces of all of your teeth are clean.
- Keeping the brush at a 45-degree angle, use the same back and forth motion to clean the inner surfaces of the upper and lower teeth. Make sure the bristles come into contact with both the gum line and chewing surface of each tooth.
- Clean behind the front teeth by tilting your brush vertically and using up and down strokes.
- Use a gentle scrubbing motion and back and forth strokes to clean the biting surface of each tooth.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue to get rid of bacteria that can cause bad breath.
Contact us today for more information about how to protect your oral health or about our general or cosmetic dentistry services. We look forward to serving you and your family in Centennial, Colorado.