The advantages of Invisalign teeth straightening
Many adults put off the decision to straighten their teeth because they worry about how braces will look or feel. However, there is an alternative to traditional, metal braces. Invisalign is a great option for some patients who want straighter teeth without braces.
What is Invisalign?
The Invisalign system uses a series of clear, removable trays that are designed to gradually move your teeth to their new positions. They’re created at your dentist’s office using X-rays, impressions and pictures. Invisalign trays aren’t as effective for complex orthodontic issues, but they can be highly effective for patients who need basic orthodontic work.
The Advantages of Invisalign
Invisalign has a number of advantages:
- In many cases, it’s faster than traditional orthodontic treatment, usually lasting between 6 and 18 months vs. an average of two years for braces.
- The trays are removable. While they typically need to be left in for 22-24 hours per day, they can come out occasionally.
- The trays are easier to clean than traditional braces, which must be carefully brushed and flossed.
- Food is less likely to get caught in the Invisalign trays than in braces.
- There’s no ongoing discomfort from brackets and wires, though there may be some soreness associated with tooth movement.
Is Invisalign right for you?
Although the system has many benefits, Invisalign is not for every patient or situation. The system does require brushing after every meal in order to avoid staining. It may not work well for patients with bridgework, the need to move canines or premolars, or patients who need to have their back bite corrected substantially.
Invisalign may also be inappropriate for children who lack the discipline to wear the trays for at least 22 hours per day or who will have trouble remembering to remove them before eating and replace them at the end of every meal.
Typically, the Invisalign system costs about the same as traditional braces. For many patients, it’s a wonderful option that creates less discomfort and allows for a less-visible option for straightening teeth.
If you’re considering the Invisalign system as an option for correcting your orthodontic issues, contact us today. We would be happy to answer your questions.