A Holistic Approach to Orthodontics
Orthodontic treatment is commonly focused on creating a pretty smile, but the right kind of orthodontic treatment can do much more for your body’s overall health than simply aligning your teeth. At James Bieneman, DDS, we offer ALF to patients seeking a preventative measure they can use to achieve not only a beautiful smile, but other benefits as well. By doing so, we utilize growth of the jaw as an ally to give patients the beautiful smile and well-developed facial structure necessary for optimal health.
What is ALF?
ALF (“Advanced Lightware Functionals”) is a method of aligning teeth and improving the bite without braces. ALF is a whole-body-and-mind approach to improve overall health in every realm, kick-starting the body’s natural self-healing ability by using the biological forces of nature and removing obstacles to the self-healing process. It addresses alignment of the bones using principles of cranial osteopathy. Doing this, it can improve spinal alignment, posture, occlusion, TMJ disorders, sensory processing /nervous system dysfunction, arch and palate development, airway reshaping, and can result in drastic behavioral and lifestyle changes for both adults and children.
How does ALF work?
The ALF device is similar to a common palate expander, but it does much more. The flexible wire device sits in the upper arch of the mouth. It impacts cranial rhythm and movement through osteopathic alignment. The gentle stimulation of the ALF orthodontic device within the mouth allows for a greater range of neurological regulation to occur, especially through the cranial nerves and the autonomic nervous system. This new and innovative approach to orthodontic treatment works to integrate cranial mobility with the palate, teeth, and jaw alignment, thereby promoting better swallowing, breathing, speech, sleep, and nervous system response.
Am I a good candidate for ALF?
ALF is a great option for patients of all ages who are interested in orthodontics and want to address other health issues simultaneously. ALF may have life changing health benefits for patients who
- Are three years of age or older
- Want to improve the alignment of their teeth and jaw without the discomfort and visibility of traditional braces
- Suffer from TMJ/TMD
- Suffer from migraines
- Have experienced a head or neck injury
- Snore and/or suffer from sleep apnea
- Have any behavioral disorders, including ASD/ADD/ADHD or emotional imbalances
ALF’s many benefits include:
- It is made of a thin, flexible wire that is barely visible from the outside.
- It is much more comfortable than braces.
- It is stable and does not require patients to sleep in a retainer after treatment is complete.
- Because it was created by a dentist with the help of an osteopath, it addresses the WHOLE BODY.
- It enhances cranial motion.
- It can improve many other health concerns such as headaches, neck and back pain, and digestive issues on top of the benefits of cosmetic orthodontia.
ALF orthodontics offer a comprehensive, preventative approach for your whole family’s oral health by offering benefits that reach far beyond a straight smile.
Learn more about ALF at
or call Dr. Beineman’s office to set up a consultation. Contact our team today at 303.797.0832.
We look forwarding to providing you with the information you need regarding this effective alternative to traditional braces.